Whenever you’re feeling good and hungry, it’s Skyline Time!!
Living in Miami means not having immediate access to our favorite casual restaurant from back in Cincinnati. For those of you who have never enjoyed Skyline Chili or even heard of it, well, it’s a Cincinnati hometown tradition comprised of menu items like “3ways”, “4ways”, “5ways” and “cheese coneys”. Sounds quite odd from an outsiders perspective! Skyline can only be found in Cincinnati (and a few satellite locations in other cities). I’m not even going to get into the rivalry and debate over which chili is better, Skyline or Goldstar chili, because I’ll never get to tell you about the BEST SUNDAY EVER!
My husband, best friend and I had to take a trek to IKEA in Sunrise, FL (about 30ish minutes from us) and learned that there was a Skyline Chili just minutes from IKEA (we found a satellite location!!! God is great!) . All three of us were craving Skyline since we haven’t been home in while and had planned to have a gluttonous adventure. Needless to say, we did NOT disappoint!
Cuisine: Cincinnati-style chili
- (2) 4-ways –spaghetti topped with Skyline chili, onion or bean and shredded cheese (we got onion)
- (6) cheese coneys – hot dog topped with Skyline chili, mustard, onion and shredded cheese
- (3) chilitos – flour tortilla filled with Skyline chili and shredded cheese. They boys opted to add onion AND spaghetti (because another pound of cards is TOTALLY necessary)
- 5 stars (bright and shiny stars!!)
- FOOD: just like in Cincinnati, which is exactly what we wanted! Full-flavored chili, perfect thinly shredded cheese. Yum!
- SERVICE: speedy AND polite! A real pleasure.
- AMBIANCE: relaxed, filled with Skyline memorabilia, sports memorabilia with a local South Florida flare that made it have the “hometown feel” for the people that live here.
The anticipation of going to Skyline in Florida was crazy, so when we finally had that first bite, it was seriously pure happiness. Gluttony ensued and we actually re-ordered more food after Round 1. Kind of embarrassing, I guess, but definitely memorable! We also found out they have a “Coney Cave”, which is a private dining room for large parties. Guess where our next birthday celebration will be housed?!?!
And additional key component that will NEVER be forgotten is riding home in the back seat of the Jeep lounging on the IKEA couch we just got fixed, because there was nowhere else to sit and thinking about how I should have gotten a cheese coney for the road!